We have documents proving that there has been a school in Sheldwich Village since 1814 and admission registers going back to the late 1800s which make very interesting reading. Back then the fathers’ occupations were carefully recorded; being in a rural area the majority were farm labourers but also worked in long lost trades such as wagoners, farriers and bailiffs (our equivalent of the local ‘bobby’). We also have some wonderful old photos of the school and pupils over the last 100 years, some of which can be viewed in our reception.
Originally the school was situated on the Lees but as the pupil numbers grew, a larger building was needed. In 1939 the new school was built and this was extensively extended in 1993. We have now reached our capacity and have 217 pupils on roll in seven classes.
In 2012 we completed another extension thereby building a new classroom to replace the last remaining mobile along with some additional pupil working areas. This may well be the final additional to the bricks and mortar of Sheldwich Primary School, however we are always searching for new ways to improve the working environment.
In September 2016 we opened our new Sheldwich Pre-School and we already have 35 children attending throughout the week. This is a very exciting time for us as now we have 2 - 11 year olds with us every day!